Monday, June 20, 2011

From the Archives: My Interview with Drop Dead Diva's Brooke Elliott


Brooke Elliott dishes about body image, working with icons, and NOT being pressured to lose weight

Note: This post was originally published in August 2010, but since "Drop Dead Diva" is back for another season, I thought I'd reprise it!--Cindy

Television being what it is, I never give a blanket endorsement to a TV show. However, I've seen "Drop Dead Diva" several times now, and I've really enjoyed it so far.

OK, it's one of those someone-comes-back-to-life-after-dying premises. We all know you have to suspend disbelief there, so just enjoy the show for what it is: light-hearted fun with some occasionally serious things to say about the weight issues that most women live with.

The best thing about the show? Its star, the delightful Brooke Elliott.


Deb is a slim, air-headed woman brought back in the body of a brilliant but dumpy and overweight lawyer, Jane. Somehow they merge--with Deb getting Jane's overweight exterior and brilliant mind, but keeping her own ditzy personality. Plus, Deb can't seem to remember that she doesn't look like a babe anymore, so she still acts like one.

The lovely Brooke Elliott is absolutely convincing portraying this paradox, and as I told her, it makes me believe that all overweight women should just act beautiful...then maybe it would become a self-fulfilling reality!


I asked Brooke about having a job in which she feels NO pressure to lose weight...what it's like working with famous guest stars like Delta Burke, Paula Abdul and Liza Minelli..and what about the guardian angel, Fred--will we ever see him again?

You can listen to my 8-minute interview with Drop Dead Diva's Brooke Elliott here.


Check out my book blog today, where the question is: Do you like movies made from books?

2 comments:

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Nice! Very cool ) My friend was just raving about the show this weekend! He said he loves it. I need to start watching.

The French Maid said...

She's delightful, isn't she?
Just found your blog and I'm your newest follower!
--Lee Ann
http://thefrenchmaidsplace.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails