Today marks the 30th anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley. In memory of that, here are 13 Elvis-related quotes:
Quotes about Elvis:
1) Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles. John Lennon
2) None of us could have made it without Elvis. Buddy Holly
3) I learned music listening to Elvis' records. His measurable effect on culture and music was even greater in England than in the States. Mick Fleetwood
4) He was white, but he sang black. It wasn't socially acceptable for white kids to buy black records at the time. Elvis filled a void. Chet Atkins
5) His kind of music is deplorable, a rancid smelling aphrodisiac. It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people. Frank Sinatra
Quotes by Elvis:
6) Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.
7) Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
8) The first time that I appeared on stage, it scared me to death. I really didn't know what all the yelling was about. I didn't realize that my body was moving. It's a natural thing to me. So to the manager backstage I said 'What'd I do? What'd I do?' And he said 'Whatever it is, go back and do it again.'
9) On becoming famous: I just fell into it really. My daddy and I were laughing about it the other day. He looked at me and said, 'What happened E? The last thing I remember is I was working in a can factory and you were driving a truck.'
10) On performing: I wiggle my shoulders, I shake my legs, I walk up and down the stage, I hop around on one foot. But I never bump and grind. Why, that's vulgar. I'd never do anything vulgar before an audience. My mother would never allow it!
11) Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do 'em all together, I guess.
12) I ain't no saint, but I've tried never to do anything that would hurt my family or offend God...I figure all any kid needs is hope and the feeling he or she belongs. If I could do or say anything that would give some kid that feeling, I would believe I had contributed something to the world.
13) We do two shows a night for five weeks. A lotta times we’ll go upstairs and sing until daylight - gospel songs. We grew up with it...It more or less puts your mind at ease. It does mine.
Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants