Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Legacy Five member passes away



Southern Gospel loses a great

Thanks to my friend Mark Haynes for letting me know about the passing of Roger Bennett of Southern Gospel's Legacy Five.

I have many friends and loved ones who are avid Southern Gospel fans, and will be saddened by this news, although it wasn't sudden. Bennett, who was 48, apparently had been battling leukemia for some time. Bennett, a pianist and vocalist, joined the Cathedral Quartet in 1979. (Legacy Five was formed by Bennett and Scott Fowler after the disbanding of the Cathedrals.)

More info on Bennett's passing here.

Martin Roth's Southern Gospel Beat includes some touching tributes to Roger Bennett, as well as links to many blogs where Bennett is being remembered and eulogized.

Although I'm not very well-informed about Southern Gospel artists and events, I find much of it very moving and inspiring. A few years ago, I was able to go to a Greater Vision concert that was wonderful. And I've been to Gaither Homecoming events a few times and really enjoyed and was uplifted by both the message and the musicianship.

It sounds like Roger Bennett was a wonderful man.

Related Tags:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails