Monday, May 15, 2006

"The Da Vinci Code" disturbs me...



...but Josh McDowell sees an opportunity

Yes, as a Christian it disturbs me that a movie based on a book that's been called "blasphemy on steroids" is probably going to be a huge hit.

Call me sensitive, but it just doesn't sit well with me that millions of people will see, and believe as fact, horrendous lies about the Person who is my best friend in the universe and the Saviour of my soul.

But apologist Josh McDowell has a positive spin on Da Vinci. McDowell tells AP's Religion Roundup: "This is one of the most positive opportunities in years to share our faith! What a wonderful time to be winsome and wholesome, to make issues clear about the deity of Christ, the Scriptures, everything..."

McDowell does say he knew he needed to respond to the book and movie: "When they take fiction as factual, and it hits home to something very dear to me, my relationship with God through his son Jesus Christ, the Scriptures and all--
then I feel I have a responsibility--not to defend the truth, not to attack Dan Brown--but to simply make the truth known."

McDowell has made resources available to help Christians do just that, based on his book The Da Vinci Code: A Quest for Answers.

More resources are available at this Focus on the Family Da Vinci Code site.

By the way, Barbara Nicolosi of Church of the Masses has been blogging regularly about this issue; she is the one who came up with the idea of an "othercott" of the movie. Her idea: don't boycott DaVinci, just go to a different movie on May 19th...preferably "Over the Hedge."

And in case you missed the Screwtape parody about Da Vinci, (hat tip to Nicolosi), here again is the link.

Related Tags:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails