Monday, February 02, 2004

I'm going with Jimmy the Groundhog's prognostication!

We who toil in the chilly climes of the upper United States will pathetically cling to any sliver of hope...and it was offered to those in my region this morning by a little creature that goes by the name of Jimmy the Groundhog in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin.

Jimmy did NOT see his shadow today...and supposedly that means we WON'T get another six weeks of winter. Jimmy (or a series of his ancestors) has been doing this since 1948, and his PR people tell us he has an 80 per cent accuracy rate.

However, Punxsatawney Phil in Punxsatawney, Pennsylvania came up with the opposite verdict. Phil DID see his shadow today, drawing boos from a crowd of hundreds who gathered in 17 degree weather.

Of course, there's nothing scientific or real about any groundhog's forecast. We still have to get through the rest of the winter, whether a furry rodent-like creature saw his shadow or not. And we just have to take it one day at at time...although I will say, I feel celebratory when I finally turn the page from January 31st. January is my least favorite month of the year...and although February will, as Don McLean sang, "make me shiver," it still gives me a spark of hope that winter WON'T last forever. :)

Speaking of Groundhog Day...

I still think the movie of the same name, starring Bill Murray and Andie McDowell, is one of the funniest ever...certainly Bill Murray at his comic best.

My caveat when I mention a movie I like: I don't give a blanket endorsement to any movie, knowing there are things people may find offensive. But overall, this movie is sweet-spirited and hilarious.

It's about a weatherman who is kind of a jerk, who keeps re-living Groundhog Day over and over. Finally he learns some important, life-changing lessons.

Love how every morning when his alarm goes off, Sonny and Cher's "I Got You Babe" is playing...


A tacky and tasteless Super Bowl half-time show...



I didn't really care about the Super Bowl. I do like to watch football sometimes, and as a good Texas girl, I can follow the game as well as anyone. But I happened to be home last night, nursing the nasty bug that has had me down for the past few days...and some idle channel-flipping brought me to apparently last few moments of the MTV-produced half-time show.

When Justin Timberlake ripped part of Janet Jackson's top off, revealing a major portion of her right...er, shall we say, chest...I was stunned. "Did I just see what I thought I saw?" It happened so quickly, and the camera quickly bailed.

Well, yeah, I did see what I thought I saw. The Drudge Report has a story today about the flak that followed the unexpected bodice-ripping. Apparently, Justin Timberlake has apologized, claiming it was unintentional; CBS got flooded with complaints immediately afterward, and the NFL appears to be blindsided by the gesture. Others are saying that's a bunch of hooey...that it was planned all along.

Whatever; it all goes to show that MTV will continue to stoop to new lows. The channel, in its desire to be hip and outrageous, is just disgusting and outrageous.

My biggest problem with it is that kids really do think everything that proceeds from MTV is hip and cool, and they'll readily swallow anything that comes down it's pipeline.

Youth pastors today really have their work cut out for them. They, and the teens themselves, need a lot of prayer and support.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails