Friday, April 08, 2016

My Love Affair with Fixer Upper

Chip and Joanna Gaines of TV's "Fixer Upper"
photo HGTV
Since I do a good deal of my TV viewing on Netflix, I'm always on the lookout for a good series.  I don't remember how I stumbled on HGTV's "Fixer Upper," but I was instantly hooked.

What's not to love about this show?

First of all, it's based in Waco, Texas.  If you know me, you know I have a deep love for Texas.  Most of my family lives there, and my late mom and dad called it home.

When my husband and I drive to Texas (I confess I'd rather be flying), Waco is one of the last cities we drive through on the way.  One of these days I'm going to stop and visit the Silos, where Chip and Joanna base their retail operations.

Then, the co-hosts themselves, Chip and Joanna Gaines, are so lovable.  Chip is kind of wacky and Joanna keeps him tethered to earth.  They are so real and unaffected.  I enjoy the interactions they show with their own family.

The way they transform properties so incredibly fascinating.  It seems the more delapidated, decrepit or deteriorated a house is, the more magic Chip and Joanna are able to work on it. The results of their workmanship and decorating are simply stunning.

I always want to move into every house that undergoes their transforming touch!

Joanna's decorating style is so clean, uncluttered and lovely.  I marvel at how she finds ways to display flowers and greenery, old signs, vintage clocks, framed maps, and reclaimed wood.

photo source


I've always been a sucker for renovation shows.  I've enjoyed many of HGTV, but I have to say "Fixer Upper" has moved up into first place.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.  It airs currently on HGTV, but the first two season are also available on Netflix.

Keep up with Joanna's blog here.

Are you a fan of Fixer Upper? Let me know in my comments!

4 comments:

Carla Rolfe said...

Oh I love shows like this too! Just checked and it's not available on the Canadian Netflix though. The next best thing are project tutorials on youtube. Great way to learn how to do crafty/home improvement projects :)

Pamela King Cable said...

I've watched many other HGTV shows, but this one is real. These folks feel like family. There is real love between these two. It's quite obvious. It's why we love them. It's why their show is number 1! I remember watching the pilot years ago and I knew then, HGTV had found a diamond in the rough. I tape every show. Her design, their ability to turn the shabby into chic, it all works.

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Yes, I love Fixer Upper! They are such an inspiring couple and family. Good to catch up with you.

Marie-Thérèse said...

I am generally bored to death w/renovation shows. They have a sameness about them that gets old very quickly. That said, however, I never miss an episode of Fixer Upper. I love these two and their adorable kiddies. I recently ran across a blogger who had been a recipient of the Gaines's wonderful work. She said that the decorative items are just for staging, but that you can buy them, if you have any money left. She, also, said that the attention to detail even for off-camera items was amazing. She was delighted w/everything they did. And.....yes, Chip is just as crazy off camera as he is on. Joanna is much more serious. Apparently, what you see is what you get. What a perfectly lovely couple!!

Great post, Cindy.

Cheers, M-T

Related Posts with Thumbnails