Thursday, August 19, 2010

I review the YouTube beauty gurus!

Top row: Emily Eddington and Kandee Johnson
Bottom row: Lauren Luke and Lolamarie7
You know, I've known for a while that you can find just about anything you need to learn on YouTube. How to grill a perfect steak? There's a vid for that. How to tie a tie? There's a vid for that. How to kiss? Yep, apparently there's even a vid for that.

But it wasn't until recently that I discovered there's a vast community of "beauty gurus" on YouTube. Searching for a tutorial on how to use velcro rollers, I stumbled on Emily Eddington's Beauty Broadcast channel, and was instantly hooked. You may remember that I recently did an e-mail interview with Emily.
She remains my favorite YouTube beauty guru, but I've recently had a chance to check out a few others. Here's my evaluations...starting with Emily.

Emily Eddington
With the screen name emilynoel83, Emily does tutorials on make-up techniques, evaluates make-up products and even gives you glimpses into her life as a TV newscaster and young wife.

I really enjoy her friendly, down-to-earth but professional approach. Her television experience serves her well in that regard. As I said in my previous post about her, Emily's beautiful face serves as the perfect canvas for the techniques she demonstrates.


(By the way, there's a British make-up artist whose videos I've checked out, but I find in singularly offputting that he demonstrates the make-up on himself. Call me old-fashioned, but I really don't like seeing make-up on men. I'm just traditional that way.)



Things I really like: Emily has a definite pattern to her routine, which is orderly and easy to follow. Also, she frequently demonstrates relatively inexpensive and sometimes VERY inexpensive products. It was through her that I found out about E.L.F., of which I'm now a huge fan.

Emily remains my favorite YouTube beauty guru. You can check her videos out here.



Kandee Johnson

Kandee is an L.A.-based make-up artist who has apparently styled movie stars and other celebrities. I can totally believe it. There seems to be no look Kandee can't achieve.

Besides her own drop-dead-gorgeousness (which is almost discouraging, because while you're watching you have to say, "No way I could ever look THAT beautiful!"), Kandee's bubbly personality is her calling card. She's fun, humorous and engaging.

Things I really like: As I said, Kandee's personality is effervescent, and she is obviously very knowledgeable and professional. She totally knows what she's doing.


One of the videos I really enjoyed was when she did her mother's make-up--partly because her mom is much closer to my age than Kandee is, and partly because it was just fun to see her interact with her mother, who she obviously adores. Check out Kandee Johnson's YouTube channel here.

Lolamarie7

"Lolamarie7" is this young woman's YouTube screen name, but I understand her real name is Jess, and she's a hairstylist somewhere in the midwest. Right now, she's pretty much my go-to girl for anything hair-related.

Things I like: Jess has a great personality, is lovely, and has a terrific head of hair on which she demonstrates all kinds of gorgeous looks. She will take you step-by-step through every technique or process she demonstrates. She's also very knowledgeable about make-up.

Some people have complained that the hair products she uses are all the expensive, high-end ones, but as a professional hairstylist, those would naturally be the products she would use. (I've actually found that as I've gotten older, hair products are something I have to spend a bit more on to insure I get top quality. Younger women can get away with the less expensive stuff.)

You can check out lolamarie7 here.


Lauren Luke


I just recently checked out this young British single mom who has apparently parlayed her YouTube popularity into a career--even launching her own make-up line.

A couple of things set Lauren apart from some of the other YouTube beauty gurus.

First of all, she's neither thin nor naturally gorgeous. This is a young woman who is obviously using everything at her disposal to be the most attractive person she can be--and that, frankly, appeals to me. Few of us have been gifted with the natural beauty of an Emily Eddington or Kandee Johnson. Lauren Luke shows how you can look very pretty despite that!

Another thing that sets her apart: her VERY strong Northern England accent. It's almost Scottish. Some people might find that offputting, but I happen to love it.

Things I really like: Lauren is very down-to-earth and appealing, and again, she's absolutely doing the best with what she has.

Things I'm "meh" about: Sometimes her eye make-up looks are a little over-the-top for me. The girl uses really lays it on thick.

Also, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to how she applies her make-up. She'll be doing eyeliner one second and suddenly she'll be doing her lips...then back to the eye-liner...and so on. I prefer a more orderly approach, but that's just me.

You can check out Lauren Luke's videos here.



So there you have it...
...four YouTube beauty gurus who will teach you innumerable nifty tricks and techniques that will help you look your absolute best. And who doesn't want that? :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails