Thursday, November 12, 2009

The kind of story that makes me glad I'm in Christian radio

I just got off the phone with a lady who is a classic case of Christian radio meeting her need at the point where she desperately needed it.

She had contacted me yesterday wanting to know the name of a song that played Monday night. I couldn’t find the log for Monday (long story), and she could only remember one small phrase from the song. I did a Google lyric search, but it proved fruitless.

I ended up calling her (she had left her phone number) to find out if she could remember any more details.

Come to find out, her husband died of swine flu Monday night (he had other underlying conditions). When she left the hospital and got in her car, one of her son’s rap CD’s was playing. She got rid of that, and although she says she never listens to our station, she somehow ended up at 100.9 FM.

The song that was playing grabbed her immediately. She wanted to have it sung at her husband’s funeral Saturday.

With a little detective work, I figured out that it was Chris Tomlin’s “I Will Rise”—a great song, but one that most of us that play it are probably a little tired of hearing.

But it was the first time she had heard it, and it met her at her point of need. She said it was perfect for her husband, who was blind and had been plagued by health problems for years.

And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise

She also says she’ll be listening to us more from now on.

I shared the story on an e-mail group that includes many Christian radio announcers. Here's the thing: even the songs that we may be a little tired of hearing are still speaking to people’s hearts and ministering. Everything we play and say on the air is potentially something someone needs to hear right at that moment.

What an awesome responsibility…and privilege.

Here is Chris Tomlin's "I Will Rise."

2 comments:

Kay Day said...

Amazing story. God just keeps working and working. If he can use an overplayed song, he can use us when we feel past our prime, too!

Solameanie said...

You don't know how much I needed to hear that today. Thanks, Cindy..

Related Posts with Thumbnails