Wednesday, November 26, 2008

"The Biggest Loser" gets another reprieve from me...


...and my yearly Thanksgiving forecast

Vicky in the foreground, Michelle and Renee across the table


Biggest Loser Michelle is my new hero...and she pretty much singlehandedly--well, with help from her mom, Renee--kept me from ditching one of my favorite shows altogether last night.


I honestly don't wish any evil on Vicky. That just wouldn't be Christian. But I've made it clear on this blog how I feel about her. Last night, before even watching the show, I had decided that that would be the Last Chance I would give it. If it bummed me out last night, I was going to bail on it until the finale.


Well, for the bulk of the show (again, what's with the "heavy" puns that pop into my mind when writing about a weight loss show?!), things were not looking good for NBC retaining my viewership. (I'm sure NBC brass were sweating buckets as they gauged my reaction, right?)


It was beginning to look horribly like The Vicky Show. Vicky, in my face, talking, talking, talking. (Is it just my imagination or did she get more face time than any of the other contestants last night?) Vicky crying. Vicky laughing. Vicky smirking. Vicky winning every challenge that was offered up.


I got the feeling the show was trying to atone for Vicky's extremely unpleasant characterization thus far this season by trying hard to present her as more humane and likable. But guess what? It didn't work.


I just didn't see how the episode was going to end up without one of the two remaining black team members--i.e., Michelle and Renee--going home. And even though I love blue team member Amy, and think she's sweet and adorable, I couldn't stomach the thought of an all-blue-team Biggest Loser. The show was going to lose me.


Well, amazingly, Michelle and Renee didn't go below the yellow line (going below the yellow line, for you non-Biggest Loser watchers, means that you're in danger of elimination)! Not only that, Renee lost 8 pounds and Michelle lost TEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


For the second time this season (the first being when Amy wonderfully voted Vicky's husband Brady off the show) I pretty much came off the couch, whooping and hollering with excitement.


I'm sad to see Amy go. She was a real sweetheart, and sadly seemed oblivious to the meanness of Vicky--who never stopped harboring a massive grudge against Amy for voting off Vicky's hubby.


BUT--Michelle and Renee live to fight another day. I have been so impressed by their classiness, grace and beauty. Even last night, when it was obvious that they had had it up to here with Vicky's antics, they never acted with anything less than class. I just love them! I would so love to see one of them win the entire thing.


Next week is one of my favorite episodes. It's the one where the remaining few contestants are given make-overs, and it becomes really apparent just what an incredible change they've made in themselves. So this season's TBL retains my viewership for at least one more week. After that...who knows? It all depends on the outcome of the next week's episode.



Now for my traditional corny-but-funny Thanksgiving forecast:


Turkeys will thaw in the morning, then warm in the oven to an afternoon high near 190F. The kitchen will turn hot and humid, and if you bother the cook, be ready for a severe squall or cold shoulder.


During the late afternoon and evening, the cold front of a knife will slice through the turkey, causing an accumulation of one to two inches on plates. Mashed potatoes will drift across one side while cranberry sauce creates slippery spots on the other. Please pass the gravy.


A weight watch and indigestion warning have been issued for the entire area, with increased stuffiness around the beltway. During the evening, the turkey will diminish and taper off to leftovers, dropping to a low of 34F in the refrigerator.


Looking ahead to Friday and Saturday, high pressure to eat sandwiches will be established. Flurries of leftovers can be expected both days with a 50 percent chance of scattered soup late in the day. We expect a warming trend where soup develops. By early next week, eating pressure will be low as the only wish left will be the bone.


Let me just take a moment to say...


I just want to attempt to express how thankful I am to God for His amazing grace and goodness. I thank Him for my husband, my family, and all the blessings with which he's enriched my life.

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

3 comments:

Juliet said...

A Happy Thanksgiving back to you!!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Well, Cindy, I purposefully didn't come here until I watched TBL because I knew you'd posted. We watched tonight with fear and trepidation as well because we feel the very same way about Vicky.

Hoping and praying that the girls can somehow, someway, pull off another mind blowing weight loss for next week, so that one of those wretched 3 have to go...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

Solameanie said...

I'm thinking if someone at Hasbro created a "Slap Vicky" doll, they'd sell a million.

Wonder if she's related to "Miss Vicky," famously married by Tiny Tim all those moons ago.

Related Posts with Thumbnails