Wednesday, December 10, 2003

You say it's your birthday? It's my birthday, too!



Yep...I was born 47 years ago today. I really can't believe I'm that old! It's already been a nice birthday, though. Chris opened up the phone lines for listeners to call in and wish me happy birthday, and people were so sweet. Warm fuzzies galore. :)

Sharing a birthday with me today is Michelle Gartshore, a lovely person who checked out my website and blog and sent me a very kind e-mail! Happy birthday to you, Michelle! (She'll have a whole lot fewer candles on her cake than I will, though! :))

I suppose I should wax eloquent about midlife, how I'm dealing with aging and all that kind of stuff. The truth is, aging is probably the least of my worries right now. Yes, there are definitely things I could do to get in better shape and promote my health and longevity. One of my New Year's resolutions had better be getting into a consistent and workable exercise regime, no doubt. However, although I am disturbed when I notice a new wrinkle here and there, I've been told that I could pass for quite a bit younger than my age. (I think I have my Grandma Garrett to thank for the good genes.) So, I'm not obsessing about growing old just yet.

The fact that I've never been a smoker or alcohol drinker also works in my favor, I believe.

I do want to be the very best and most attractive 47-year-old woman that I can possibly be. Overall, I think I'm a much more interesting woman than I was, say, 20 years ago. Life experience and accrued wisdom will do that for you, I believe. I pray that I can have that beauty that glows from the inside...the kind that makes my mother a still-beautiful woman at 70.

Submission

A while back, I put a tribute to my father on my website that included lines from a song I used to love to hear him sing. It's called "Submission," and can still be found in some old gospel songbooks...none of which I have access to right now.

I got an e-mail from a Daniel Pollard, who was searching for the lyrics to the song so he could sing it a cappella in a Bible study group.

I was able to find the lyrics through a Google search, although the author's name is regrettably not included. I'll have to ask my mom if she can find the song for me so I can give credit to the author. In the meantime, check out these lyrics...wow.

Submission

The path that I have trod has brought me nearer God

Though oft it led thru sorrow's gates

Though not the way I'd choose,in my way I might lose

The joy that yet for me awaits.



Chorus-

Not what I wish to be, nor where I wish to go

For who am I that I should choose my way

The Lord shall choose for me, tis better far I know

So let Him bid me go, or stay.



The cross that I must bear if I a crown would wear

Is not the cross that I should take

But since on me tis laid I'll take it unafraid

And bear it for the Master's sake.



Submission to the will of Him who guides me still

Is surety of His love revealed

My soul shall rise above this world in which I move

I conquer only when I yield.



I conquer only when I yield.

A lot of scriptural truth in that song! I can still hear my dad singing it, and I get a little choked up thinking about it. He still sings a little, but rarely sits down at the piano like he used to. :(

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails