Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Do you appreciate your hairstylist? (from the archives)

Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like. ~Author Unknown




Your hairstylist probably knows more about you than your doctor. A good hairstylist not only gives you the most up-to-date hairstyle that you can replicate at home, he or she is also a good listener. Hairstyling is an artful skill that boosts self-esteem and makes clients feel good...-from news.yahoo.com



There's no doubt about it, a really good hairstylist is a treasure.

There are few feelings happier than the day you know you're getting your hair cut and/or colored...especially when you know and trust your stylist.  You feel like a new woman!

Looking back on all the people who have cut, styled and/or colored my hair, I've been pretty blessed.

Price has always been an issue for me.  I just can't afford to spend a ton of money on my hair.

 Right now, my hairstylist works in a terrific salon in a small town over half an hour away from me.  The drive is worth it because not only is the price much less, but Lori is a talented stylist and colorist, and I've been very pleased with her work.



This has worked against me in the past, though.  For a couple of years, I had a bargain stylist who was dirt-cheap.  I thought this person did an OK job, but looking back at pictures of myself during this era, I can see that my hair was really not very flattering.

 The old adage "You get what you pay for" comes to mind.
I've had some wonderful stylists in the past who have since moved away. I actually followed Samantha through stops in three different salons!  This girl really had a talent with hair.

We all know that when you take a photo to a hairstylist, you shouldn't expect miracles.  She/he can use it as a guideline, but chances are, it's not going to look the same on you.

However, one time I took a photo to Samantha and I think she came pretty close!

Photo I took to the shop on the left--me post-cut on the right


Sam ended up moving away and getting married.

How about you?  Do you have a hard time finding someone who does your hair the way you want it? Is cost an issue?  Do you change stylists frequently, or tend to stick with one for years?

Let me know in my comments section!



1 comment:

Diane said...

The guy I've been going to for the last four years or so is a genius with color - the main reason I go there. Have to keep that grey covered.

That is my main "thing" - keep the grey covered up, maybe put in some fun highlights. I opt for simple cuts that take absolute minimum time to style in the morning.

Related Posts with Thumbnails