Friday, February 13, 2009

The Most Famous Lovers of Literature and History

In honor of Valentine's Day! From listafterlist.com, the most famous lovers in literature and history.


1. Romeo and Juliet--portrayed at left by Olivia Hussey and Leonard Whiting in Franco Zeffirelli's movie adaptation of Shakespeare's famous play.


2. Cleopatra and Mark Antony


3. Lancelot and Guinevere


4. Layla and Majnun--OK, this one I admit I had never heard of, but you can read about them here


5. Tristan and Iseult (Isolde)--pictured portrayed by James Franco and Sophia Myles in the 2006 movie adaptation

6. Eloise and Abelard

7. Paris and Helena

8. Orpheus and Eurydike

9. Napoleon and Josephine

10. Cyrano and Roxane

11. Pyramus and Thisbe

12. Werther and Lotte

13. Odysseus and Penelope

14. Jane Eyre and Rochester--The romance from my favorite novel of all time! It gives hope to every young girl who isn't beautiful that the man of her dreams can still fall madly, passionately in love with her. Who can forget Jane's impassioned speech to Rochester, just before he declares his love for her:
"Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong! - I have as much soul as you, - and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you."

15. Scarlett O’Hara and Rhett Butler--From one of my favorite books and movies, Gone With the Wind.
Got any favorites here--or couples that you think should be added to the list? Let me know in my comments section!

6 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

I have a weakness for Romeo and Juliet, simply because Mom's name is Juliet. Mom jokes she went to the Man Store, but they were all out of "Romeo," so she had to settle for "Robert." I think it was still a pretty sweet deal!

Another favorite couple of mine is Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. How can you not love a man who said, "I don't like to discuss my marriage, but I will tell you something which may sound corny but which happens to be true. I have steak at home. Why should I go out for hamburger? "

Cindy Swanson said...

Great story about your mom, Ann-Marie! I always thought the name Juliet was pretty,and you don't hear it that much. (Of course, there's Juliet on "Lost"!) Love that Paul Newman/Joanne Woodward quote, too. By all accounts, they had one of the happiest and most stable Hollywood marriages.

Randy Spradlin said...

How could you forget about Kermit and Miss Piggy?

My best fictional characters were Peter Strauss (John Waylan) and Kathleen Quinlan (Kathy). But, then again, it's not like I'm biased when it comes to Strauss.

Dianna said...

James Franco as Tristan....(sigh!)
That guy is just too handsome!

Dee said...

How about Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice. I usually like the older versions of movies, especially the black and white ones, but I absolutely love Keira Knightley in the most recent remake of this book.

Solameanie said...

In honor of Valentine's Day, you should all watch "The Women" from 1939-40, starring Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Joan Fontaine, Paulette Goddard and a host of hundreds.

You'll never see Reno and "La Amour" the same.

Related Posts with Thumbnails