Thursday, November 29, 2007

13 Things You Need to Know!



If you're busily cruising Thursday Thirteens and you don't have time to check out these links, do bookmark this page and come back later!

1. The cute Gingerbread House you see here is just too much fun. Created by Jenny of Allsorts, you can decorate it yourself by going here. Should be lots of fun for your kids too! (Hat tip to Barb at Stray Thoughts for this one.)

2. At this time of year, I start getting a rush of traffic from people trying to find info about beloved Christian singer Evie Tornquist Karlsson, whose "Come On, Ring those Bells" is a holiday classic. I'm setting up another holiday interview with Evie--but you may want to check out my past interviews with her.

For an audio interview I did with her last Christmas, go here. For a transcripted interview from 2004, go here.



3. Looking for a lovely Christmas-themed fiction book to enjoy while taking much-needed breaks from the holiday madness? I've got it for you. I just interviewed Robin Jones Gunn about her novella, Finding Father Christmas. The perfect gift for yourself or someone on your list who loves fiction.

4. BlogRush--Have you been noticing the BlogRush widget on my sidebar? I've been a part of BlogRush for several weeks now, but I decided not to blog about it until I'd tried it out for a while. It claims to potentially increase you blog traffic like crazy. I've found it, so far, to have increased my readership only very modestly, but I'm still giving it a go. If you're interested, go to the website and watch a video about it. There's no harm in trying it. I've positioned myself in the books category. I was initially in the "Christian" category, but all sorts of things were showing up that weren't remotely Christian.

5. I mentioned yesterday the wonderful diabetic-friendly pumpkin pie recipe I made for Thanksgiving (hat tip to Mel of The Amazing Shrinking Mom.) It occurred to me that people often make pumpkin recipes for Christmas as well, so if you're interested, it's here. Trust me, no one will be able to tell it's "healthy." My whole family enjoyed it.



6. Christmas Music Alerts: My daughter, who works at Borders, tells me one of their top-sellers every day is Josh Groban's Christmas CD, Noel. I must have this!

7. Another Christmas CD I can't wait to hear is Michael W. Smith's It's a Wonderful Christmas. Since his previous two Christmas CDs are among my favorite Christmas music, I can't wait to see if this one measures up. My friend Randy, a former radio colleague, highly recommends it.

8. Speaking of Christmas music, Jars of Clay has a new Christmas album out as well, and they will be doing a Christmas special on the Gospel Music Channel this weekend.

9. Ethan Powell--If you believe in prayer, please add this precious little boy to your list. Diagnosed with leukemia when he was taken for his eight-week check-up, at almost one year old, Ethan is still fighting for his life. If you can watch this video and not be moved, you don't have a heart.

10. Very interesting article about the producer of X-Men, Planet of the Apes and Star Trek III: Hollywood Heavyweight: How Ralph Winter's faith influences some of Hollywood's biggest movies. (Hat tip to
Thunderstruck.org)

11. How to Encourage a Blogger (hat tip to Evangelical Outpost.)


12. Look up "cute" or "appealing" in the dictionary, and there might very well be a picture of him.

13. Sherry of Semicolon posts her list of Top Ten Best Movie Musicals Ever. I actually haven't seen four of Sherry's picks, but one of my personal favorites? The Phantom of the Opera.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



9 comments:

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Thanks for those great ideas. I am def adding you to my blog roll. So many cute ideas & things to read, I'll check back often. Nice to meet you! :)
<3, Amy in AZ

Holly said...

Yes, we are BOTH Phantom of the Opera fans! (and both mentioned them in our TT-13 posts)

I still love Michael Crawford as the Phantom the best with Sarah Brightman as Christine.

Happy TT-13!

Smiles,

Holly
http://theabundanceplace.com

Open Grove Claudia said...

I can get very bah humbugish at the holidays - thanks for the fun suggestions!

Happy TT.

pussreboots said...

Hi there -- nice TT. I've been doing TT for about six months but this is the first time I've come across yours. I actually found you through BlogRush.

Happy TT.
http://www.pussreboots.pair.com/blog.html

Randy Spradlin said...

Cindy,

At first I was taken aback at how much people love Evie! I thought, "She is soooo 35 years ago!" But, then, I had to stop myself. Some would say that about some of my favorite artists too. It just reminded me that God uses many people with varied talents and abilities to edify others. I was an Evie fan 30 odd years ago.

BTW- You gotta listen to the MWS Christmas project. A worthy CD indeed.

Be well,

Randy

SusieJ said...

That looks like a great book. Thank you.

Nicholas said...

I have been considering Blogrush but haven't made up my mind. I posted a question about it and received an interesting range of replies.

Lori said...

Thanks for all that great information and for stopping by. I know its Sunday but Happy TT anyway:)

RosieBoo said...

I love Robin Jones Gunn and wondered about her latest Christmas fiction. Thanks for the tip!

Related Posts with Thumbnails