Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Hello, my name is Cindy and I'm an incurable...

...bookworm!



I think my love affair with reading began from the moment I could visually string words together to make any sort of sense. It continues unabated, now that I'm well into my 40's, and I don't see it diminishing any time soon.

The Rockford Register Star , on the front page of it's Life and Style section today has an article about "the books we've loved for the past 10 years." Of course, it mentions the Harry Potter books (no, I haven't read them), and the Left Behind books (I dropped out somewhere around book 3 or 4 and have just never been motivated to go back.)

The heartening thing, to me, is that despite computers, DVD's and an onslaught of burgeoning technology, reading doesn't seem to be going away.

I'm a big fan of fiction, and I'm pleased to report that Christian fiction is better than ever. Writers like Francine Rivers, B. J. Hoff, Jane Kirkpatrick, Liz Curtis Higgs and a host of others are writing captivating, quality fiction that engrosses the reader while highlighting spiritual and Scriptural truth.

Author Jeri Massi completely blew me away recently with her "Valkyries" series. ( Read my review here) You can also listen to my radio interview with Jeri by clicking on the appropriate spot on the links bar to the right.

You can go to the reading page of my website to read more about some of my favorite authors, as well as check out some of my book reviews.

Cajun food revisited...

Blogging about Cajun food the other day, I mentioned that Tabasco and Lousiana Hot Sauce are a lot alike...and got soundly refuted by Scott McClare in my comments box: "Tabasco sauce is nothing like Louisiana hot sauce. For one thing, Tabasco has heat.

"(Also they are made from two different kinds of peppers: Tabasco sauce is made from tabasco peppers, and Louisiana hot sauce from the relatively milder cayenne pepper.)"

Ah, the ignominy of having to be corrected about Cajun condiments by a Canadian! :) However, I do stand corrected. But take my word for it...they're both spicy.

I'm delighted to have gotten an e-mail from Ashley with her recipe for gumbo. Ashley used to live in Shreveport as well, and she knows whereof she speaks when it comes to Cajun food. The recipe simply involves using a mix called Louisiana Crawfish Man's. This looks easier than Don Elbourne's recipe, so you can bet I'll be giving it a try as soon as I can get my hands on some of this mix! I wonder if they sell it in the Austin area...



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails