Monday, August 15, 2011

What Today Is: National Relaxation Day and National Lemon Meringue Pie Day






Yep, according to halife.com, today in National Relaxation Day and National Lemon Meringue Pie Day.

Can I make a confession here? I have never made a lemon meringue pie....or anything involving meringue.

Meringue pies aren't even my favorite, although I have enjoyed a slice in my day.

According to Food Timeline (a pretty fascinating site, by the way!), lemon meringue pie has been around since medieval times, and was popular in early America:

"Lemon-meringue pie, made with lemon curd and topped with meringue, has been a favorite American dessert since the nineteenth century."
---Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink, John F. Mariani [Lebhar-Friedman:New York] 1999 (p. 182)

Elizabeth Coane Goodfellow (1767-1851) is credited for introducing lemon meringue pie to America in her Philadelphia shops [The Larder Invaded: Reflections on Three Centuries of Philadelphia Food and Drink, Mary Anne Hines, Gordon Marshall & William Woys Weaver, Historical Society of Philadelphia, Philadelphia 1987 (p. 66)


If you'd like to try your hand at making one, here are a bunch of recipes for the tasty treat.


Today is also National Relaxation Day

Relaxing is something I've been doing a lot of (one reason why I haven't been blogging much lately!) as I'm on vacation with my family in central Texas.

National Relaxation Day is billed as "an excuse for every overworked, underpaid person to do what they'd rather be doing."

What would YOU rather be doing?


My idea of the ultimate in relaxation

Photo credits:
Photo 1

Photo 2

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Cindy
Just letting you know that your guestpost for me is up on my blog right now! Thanks you so much for joining in the Q&A, I appreciate it and loved reading your answers :)
Happy Friday!! X

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Cindy,

Once a week I meet with a friend and we have coffee together in a local cafe, which makes lemon meringue pie to die for.

I love anything with meringue involved, empty meringue nests on their own will do me just fine.

It is not something that I ever make at home, as Dave isn't too keen on it, although he has been known to try Baked Alaska (hard frozen ice cream block, covered in meringue and baked)it's delicious, although very naughty.

Yvonne

Related Posts with Thumbnails