Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Semi-Wordless Wednesday: Tudor/Elizabethan Fashions



I just finished To Die For, by Sandra Byrd, a fresh look at Anne Boleyn through the eyes of her lifelong friend, Meg Wyatt (read my review here).

I loved being immersed in Tudor England for a few days, and I think the book's cover is one of the loveliest I've seen. The dresses they wore in those days truly were to die for!

So for my Semi-Wordless Wednesday, I thought I'd have some fun looking at Tudor/Elizabethan fashions. Enjoy!


Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth I


Genevieve Bujold as Anne Boleyn in Anne of a Thousand Days


Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Natalie Dormer as Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn in The Tudors


Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn in The Other Boleyn Girl


The Armada Portrait of Elizabeth I, attributed to George Gower


Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth I in Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Elizabeth I at around age 13--portrait usually attributed to William Scrots

Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn in The Tudors

Richard Burton as Henry VIII and Genevieve Bujold as Anne Boleyn in Anne of a Thousand Days

Scarlett Johannson as Mary Boleyn and Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn in The Other Boleyn Girl

Genevieve Bujold as Anne Boleyn with child actress playing Elizabeth in Anne of a Thousand Days


Photo credits: all images from Tumblr or Google Images


I'm participating today in Semi-Wordless Wednesday--click on the link to find out more!


Photobucket

4 comments:

Yvette said...

Lovely images, I love how you included the portraits as well for comparison!

I watched the first couple seasons of the Tudors, love the costumes. Of course they have to make Jonathan Rhys Meyer's Henry's outfits a little less voluminous and more modern, so we can view him as a viable romantic interest instead of the gross rotund man that he was.

Julia

http://fashionandhistrionics.blogspot.com/

Regarding Rehse said...

This is a post after my own heart! I am a HUGE Henry the VIII fanatic, I've always loved reading through his history as well as the many wives! I'll definitely be adding the book to my reading list! Thanks so much for sharing! XX Mrs WASP

Margarita Bloom said...

Oooh, I LOVE all those dresses! So enchanted with them.....they really knew how to glam it up back then!! And all the gorgeous jewelry...pearls, rubies, gold, garnets...it makes my heart go all aflutter!!! le sigh... Fabulous post! And so lovely to meet you! Stopping by from Wordless Wednesday at FF&P!!

Claire said...

Loved this post. Such a great period in history!

Cxx

Related Posts with Thumbnails