Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Works For Me Wednesday



More on head lice---(eeew!!!)

OK, this is the first time I've participated in "Works for Me Wedneday," so be gentle with me.

My WFMW post is actually an afterthought to that of Rocks in My Dryer, who posted about the admittedly disturbing phenomenon of head lice.

If you've been a mom for any length of time, you've encountered this horrendous nightmare. I have. And few things strike more terror into the heart of a mom than the sight of living things crawling around in the hair of your beloved child.

Rocks in My Dryer gives some really good pointers on getting rid of the nasties, including coating the hair and scalp with vaseline. I've also heard that mayonnaise works. But I can tell you about something that works just as well, and is not as hard to get rid of as vaseline nor as gross as putting the same thing on hair that you put on tuna.

OLIVE OIL.

Yep, coat the hair and scalp generously with olive oil, wrap the child's head up good and keep it on for several hours. It does also take quite a bit of washing out, but your child's hair will be luxuriant once it's all over with.

As I understand it, the oil suffocates the lice. (By the way, I'm not a cussin' woman, but if anything could have driven me to cuss a blue streak, it would have been head lice.)

Someone could make a ton of money by having a nit-picking business. I know I would have paid good money for someone else to have done the honors!

No one wants to find out first hand what is meant by the saying "nit-picking." But while you're dragging those suckers down every strand of hair (and believe me, if it had been my sons they WOULD have gotten buzz-cuts), just remember, "This too shall pass."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails