Thursday, June 15, 2006

"It's a Wonderful Life" most inspirational



The American Film Institute has come out with its list of the 100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time, and "It's a Wonderful Life" tops the list.

I could kick myself for not remembering to DVR the CBS TV special about the list last night. My daughter and I went to hear Michael Reagan speak (it was excellent, by the way).

Anyway..."It's A Wonderful Life" happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time...maybe my favorite. I agree that it has a very inspiring message. Just how much does one person's life affect those around him? It's a soul-searching question, and the movie itself is--well, wonderful.

I adore Jimmy Stewart...he and Donna Reed are at their very best in this film. And Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without watching it.

Donna Reed, by the way, was an actress who aged very gracefully. She still looked very lovely when she starred in "Dallas" toward the end of her life.

So, the other movies on the list?

Let's look at the top 10:

1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. To Kill a Mockingbird (I haven't seen it!!! Although I have read the book...)
3. Schindler's List
4. Rocky
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
6. E. T. (most inspiring? really? But, I haven't seen it, so really can't comment)
7. The Grapes of Wrath (haven't seen it...hated the book, found it really depressing)
8. Breaking Away (again, really? I've seen it years ago, thought it was a good movie and a funny movie...guess I can't remember the "inspiring" part)
9. Miracle on 34th Street
10. Saving Private Ryan

A couple of my other favorite films were way farther down on the list: Gone with the Wind (43); Braveheart (62) and Chariots of Fire (100).

A few of the choices are also head-scratchers for me. Thelma and Louise? Uh, yeah. It was really inspiring to watch two women drive off a cliff.

Feel free to disagree with me in my comments section. :)

Related Tags:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails