Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The fascination of Amish life...


...the pleasure of Beverly Lewis books

I finished The Englisher, by Beverly Lewis, last night, and am I frustrated!

Why? Well, the book is the second in a series called Annie's People...and I can't wait to read the next book in the series, so I can find out how everything turns out.

Lewis' depictions of Amish life near her home territory of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, are fascinating--richly authentic and captivating tales of a people who are as interesting as they are puzzling.

This is the third Beverly Lewis series I've read, and I never fail to enjoy them. The Amish really do puzzle me, though. It's hard to believe that a group of people who are so devout and pious are actually NOT encouraged to read the Bible, and assurance of salvation is regarded as a sin of pride, worthy of shunning.

With all their rules and regulations, the Amish know nothing of God's grace. How sad!

From Beverly's website: "Booksellers across the country, and around the world, have spread the word of Bev’s tender tales of Plain country life. A clerk in a Virginia bookstore wrote, 'Beverly's books have a compelling freshness and spark. You just don't run across writing like that every day. I hope she'll keep writing stories about the Plain people for a long, long time.'"

I totally agree.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails