Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Could you wear the same dress for a year?



This woman is.

According to her website, Alex Martin is "... making one small, personal attempt to confront consumerism by refusing to change my dress for 365 days."

Martin has been wearing the same little brown dress for almost a year. Yes, she takes if off to sleep, bathe and swim. She'll mend it if need be, wash it regularly, and add layers for warmth if necessary. But for an entire year (July 7th is the day she gets to "undress"), she's wearing the same...

brown...

dress.

Folks, I don't think I could voluntarily do that.

I can see the point Martin is trying to make, but I couldn't be the one to make it.

While I don't consider myself a fashionista by any stretch of the imagination...and I've had a love/hate relationship with fashion for years (partly because I've never been, and probably never will be thin "enough")...I DO LOVE CLOTHES.

My wardrobe is not very extensive. I don't have a great deal of money to spend on clothes, and I buy off of sales and clearance racks. I don't need a huge closet. I wear the same things frequently.

BUT I choose my clothes carefully, trying to buy only things I really like and that I think I will enjoy wearing and that will hopefully look good on me. I love pretty colors, and fabrics that are nice to touch.

I've come to realize that I can usually get a much better quality article of clothing at an expensive store from a clearance rack, than I can at a discount store...yet some of my best and most enduring articles of clothing have come from places like Target.

I generally avoid trends, as well as anything frou-frou and juvenile (things that tie in back are pretty much out for me.) But I don't discount the occasional frivolous touch, as long as it's just a touch.

I'm still learning. I used to avoid, like the plague, wearing brown. I thought it would make me look like a baked potato. But recently my sister talked me into getting a dark brown top, and I love it.

But I couldn't wear it every day for a year!

And now, just for fun, take this Fashion Quiz and find out just how much you know about fashion. (I got an 80 per cent score.)

So how important is fashion to you? Let me know in my comments section!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails