Thursday, December 16, 2004

It only took one child to change the world...



Are you ever suddenly blindsided with the full impact of a truth you've generally taken for granted? That happened to me last night.

Oh, it wasn't the first time I've been overwhelmed by the reality of this truth. But it had been a while since it punched me in the gut with its power and awe.

My daughter and I had been out Christmas shopping, and I was a bit edgy from dealing with traffic that is much more hectic than usual. Driving along, I realized that the song 101QFL was playing was Natalie Grant's "One Child."

I began to let the lyrics seep into my heart through the medium of Natalie's soulful voice:

"One million chains could never hold back this moment in time
One thousand dreams could never dream what this moment truly means
Heaven and earth, they cradle the infinite Joy born on this night
For it only takes one Child to forever change the world"

This line in particular is laden with significance:

"This Baby cries and for the first time
The world hears the voice of God weep"

And that's when it hit me again...the inexplicable, ineffable, ungraspable truth...that the creator of the Universe "wrapped his love in flesh and blood" and became a human being.

And he did it because he loved us. He loved me.

"Why are you crying, Mom?" Elizabeth asked.

Because I am humbled. I am awestruck. I am blown away once again, at God's unfathomable grace.

For the rest of the lyrics to "One Child," go here.


Me with Natalie Grant at GMA in Nashville, 2003

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails