Monday, August 30, 2004

Love Monday????



I have never read the book pictured above, but maybe I should! I admit it...Monday is without question my LEAST favorite day of the week.

Several years ago, I realized that I was spending a great deal of time and energy hating Monday...when in reality, it's a precious day that God has given me, and I should be finding a way to appreciate, enjoy, and live it to the fullest. So I came up with a plan to make Mondays special...to give them a reason that I could actually look forward to them, rather than dreading them.

Maybe I would treat myself to something I'd been wanting, like a manicure or a new hairstyle. Maybe I would ask a friend out or over to my house for lunch. Maybe I would plan a really delicious supper for my family with a new recipe. Whatever...just some reason to look forward to Monday!

I did start out my plan with good intentions, but like many plans, that one ended up falling by the wayside at some point.

Maybe I should start it again. Life is too precious to have one day of the week that you abhor. God gave me Monday...that should be enough reason to love it, right? (I'm preaching to myself here. :))

Here's one reason to like Monday...

Well, you know I can't resist a quiz. Live and direct from Monday Madness, here are my answers for today (feel free to join the fun!):

Name 3 of your favorite.......
1. Colors
Pink, sage green and cranberry

2. Pizza Toppings
green peppers, onions and mushrooms

3. Department Stores
Bergner's, JCPenneys and Kohl's (I'd say Dillard's and Foley's, but we don't have them here, bummer :()

4. Flavors of Candy
Flavors, or brands? I'd say anything marrying chocolate and peanut butter--including Reese's, Fast Break and Butterfinger

5. Scents of Candles
Mmmm....I love candles! For spring/summer I like the Glade ones like Angel Whispers, Butterfly Garden and Rainshower. For fall/winter, I like various brands of apple/cinnamon, pumpkin spice, and Bath and Body Works has the most amazing hazelnut candle that they sell only briefly.

6. Days of the Week
Wow, I blogged about hating Monday before I even read this question. I know that spiritually-speaking I should say Sunday, but Sunday is not really a day of rest for me. I do enjoy getting together and worshipping with fellow Christians and hearing God's Word expounded, honestly I do...but for sheerly shallow reasons, I would have to go with Thursday, Friday and Saturday. ESPECIALLY Friday.

7. Vegetables

Tomatoes (I actually crave tomatoes and tomato-based products!); potatoes, and cucumbers. But I really do love most vegetables.

8. Fruits
Bananas (I have one almost every day), watermelon, and grapes.

9. Meals to cook
My sister Beverly's lasagna (recipe to follow!)--it's fairly easy to put together, and incredibly delicious; pot roast (what could be easier? You just stick in a pan or crockpot, cover with potatoes, carrots and a packet of dry onion soup, and in no time your house smells divine); boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked in the crock pot, either with barbecue sauce or a combination of canned soups.) The latter two because they take minimum effort and get maximum flavor and compliment results.

10. Kitchen Gadgets
The microwave, and two things I don't have right now, but wish I did: a mini food-processor and an electric can opener.

11. Olympic Sports
I was so busy for the past couple of weeks, I really didn't get into the Olympics as much as I have in past years. But I've always enjoyed track and field, gymnastics and diving.

OK, here's Beverly's Lasagna...a proven crowd-pleaser!



Ever since my sister Beverly gave me this recipe, I never make any other lasagna recipe. This one is so amazing, and you DON'T have to pre-cook the lasagna noodles...since you're using a LARGE can of tomato juice, the noodles cook in the juice, and they get permeated with flavor. Wow, this is making me hungry! Here you go:

1 lb. ground beef (you can add about a half-pound sausage if you like,too)
lasagna noodles,uncooked
2 packets spaghetti sauce mix
1 small can tomato paste
1 LARGE can tomato juice (I think it's 32 oz, it's the big can)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 eggs
1 small carton cottage cheese


Brown the meat; drain. Add spaghetti sauce mix,tomato paste and tomato juice; heat through. In a bowl, stir together the cottage cheese, 2 beaten eggs and 1 cup of the mozzarella.

Line a 9 by 13 pan with a layer of uncooked lasagna noodles. Add a layer of the meat sauce; top with dollops of the cheese mixture. Repeat layering ( a couple of times, I think...I'm doing this off the top of my head) and add the rest of the mozzarella on top of the final top layer of meat sauce. (Use more cheese if you like.)

Cook in a 350 oven for about an hour. For the first 30 or 40 minutes, I cover with foil to keep it from getting too dry...toward the end I take the foil off so the cheese can brown nicely.

As I said, the tomato juice cooks the noodles, and the flavor seeps right through it. My family loves this. It's great with a tossed green salad and some Italian bread. :) And if possible, it's even better as left-overs! This is a crowd pleaser if you're having company over,too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi #NAME#. Just found your site via food. Although I was looking for food I was glad i came upon your site. Thanks for the read!

Related Posts with Thumbnails