Friday, June 18, 2004

Happy Father's Day!



I love this Norman Rockwell picture. That young dad is bleary-eyed, but he's pulling that 2 o'clock feeding duty!

I've already written a tribute to my own father. Now I'd like to talk about my husband, and what a terrific father he is to our children.

You couldn't find a dad anywhere who was more excited than Doug on the days our three children were born. He was higher than a kite.

He never had to pull two o'clock feeding duty, because I nursed our babies...but he often got up to change a wet baby's diaper and bring him/her to our bed for feeding in the middle of the night. And I can't count the number of times he's gotten up to clean up vomit or help with a sick child so I could get some sleep.

He was never too macho to kiss and hug our babies, and our children have never had cause to doubt their father's love for them. And he doesn't just demonstrate it...he verbalizes it, never missing a chance to tell them he loves them.

I wish I could scan one of my favorite pics of Doug as a very young father. You can see his head (covered with hair, even!) and almost-two-year-old Jonathan's, sticking up out of the bathwater. Dad and Jonny having a bath. It's so cute. Jon even used it in a power-point presentation of childhood photos at his wedding.

Despite the fact that he's always had a busy schedule, Doug was frequently available to watch the kids whenever I needed some time off or just to go to the grocery store alone! And I never had to worry when they were under his care. Doug's something of a worry-wart, and you could count on the fact that they would be well-supervised under his watch.

He's provided a godly example, been faithful to the Lord and to their mother. Our kids know that God and His Word are the guiding force in their father's life. They've never seen their dad come home drunk or beat up on their mom. And despite a few well-placed spankings, they've never suffered abuse at the hands of their dad.

He's always been actively involved in their sporting events, never missing a baseball, basketball or soccer game if he could possibly help it, and always cheering them on.

Our daughter, the baby of the family, has always had Dad wrapped around her little finger. They kid each other constantly and give each other a hard time in good fun, but it's obvious they're crazy about each other. Elizabeth will never have to search for that father-love from any other man. She is secure in the love her dad has for her.

He's a proud father, willing to brag on his children and their accomplishments at the drop of a hat. And he has sacrificed financially to help them obtain a topnotch education.



Honestly, I couldn't ask for a better father for my children. Believe me, I don't take such a gift lightly...I truly than God for it. Thanks, Doug, for being a wonderful husband and father. I love you. Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails