Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Regrets...I've had a few???

I love Frank Sinatra's voice. Let's face it; few singers before or since have possessed Ol' Blue Eyes' ability to put over a song with sheer heart and emotion. But while I appreciate the singer, I can't say I've ever really admired the man. Case in point: his "My Way" has always struck me as an egotistical ode to humanistic pride. (I know he didn't write the lyrics, but he sure sang them with conviction.) One of the lines I truly can't relate to:

"Regrets...I've had a few/ But then again, too few to mention..."

Too few to mention? Wow. I certainly cannot identify with that statement...and it seems incredible, not to mention rather arrogant and callous, that a person could come to the end of his life and have too few regrets to mention.

Regrets? Yep, I have more than a few. For starters, I regret everything I have done (and still do) that has caused pain and disappointment to my precious Lord...who, amazingly, continues to forgive me and love me in spite of my multitudinous sins and shortcomings.

I also deeply regret any pain or hurt I have caused to my fellow travelers on this journey--be they loved ones, friends or acquaintances. How strongly I wish I could go back and prevent actions and decisions that may have caused such pain!

I'm so thankful that God has promised to forgive, although regrettably (there's that word again!) not everyone else will be able to do so. I grasp on to I John 1:9--"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Thank you, Lord, for that!

Other regrets? Well, I would have enjoyed my youth more--appreciated the luxury of smooth skin, gray-less hair and abundant energy and health while I had it...instead of wasting those beautiful years worrying about some extra pounds I had to lose.

I would have cherished my childrens' babyhood and young childhood years more, knowing in hindsight how lightning-quick those sweet days vanish from sight.

Oh, I could go on and on, but I have a feeling I could work myself into a pretty severe depression if I kept this up!

Regrets? Yeah, I've had more than a few...too many to mention! But the optimism in me--the faith and
hope in me--tell me not to dwell too much on those regrets.

The past cannot be re-lived. There are no do-overs in life. But happily, our God is a God of second chances--actually, of many chances. He is a Sovereign God who has a master plan for my life.

So, the golden-throated crooners can warble all they like about doing it "My Way."

With God's help...I'll choose to do it His Way.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails