Monday, October 20, 2003

My busy weekend!...

This past weekend was definitely short on R-n-R...but overall, it was good.

It started Friday night, with Doug and I making our way to his brother Kelvin's church in Beloit. We were the special guest singers. I love visiting Kelvin's church. It's rather small, and there is just a sweet spirit there. It appeals to me...it's so without airs and grandiosity of any kind.

I had heard the special speaker, Johnny Pope, several years ago at a couples' retreat. He has a speaking style that is eloquent and often humorous, and his message on prayer really spoke to my heart.

Afterwards, I asked him if he had visited Ireland recently. The last time I had met him, he and his wife had just returned from a trip to Ireland, and he absolutely loved it. He said no, they hadn't been back, and they had never done anything that topped it. We chatted a bit about our mutual love of all things Irish, and he reminisced about some of the sights he saw there.

I also asked him to give my regards to a mutual friend...evangelist Tim Lee, who has been a dear and kind friend to my family in Texas. He said he would pass along my greetings to Tim.

Back to Rockford, and a late dinner at Giuseppi's with Ray. I keep saying I am not going to eat late at night. It's terrible for me, and I generally try to avoid it. All I had was a small salad and some bread and sauce (Giuseppi's marinara sauce is among the best I've ever had), but still...I shouldn't be eating that late. Oh well, no use beating myself up about it...what's done is done. What's eaten is eaten. :)


Voice Wars 2003

I slept in on Saturday...what a luxuriously wonderful feeling...and then I was up and hitting the ground running. I cleaned house and did laundry almost non-stop. Not exactly a fun way to spend a beautiful autumn day, but it had to be done...and it did feel good to accomplish it.

Then it was time to start getting ready for my evening as an MC. Now, this was fun. A local special occasion dress shop called Sarah Grace had loaned me a beautiful dress to wear, and even these gorgeous sparkly earrings to go with it. All of my girly-ness came out in full force as I got to play "dress-up" for the evening. The dress was two-piece, black with a sparkly silver bodice and sparkly silver trim on the outer jacket (I'm woefully ignorant of the correct way to describe clothes.) Suffice it to say, it was waaaay more fancy than I normally wear for any reason. And it felt great...totally glam and glittery. Doug accompanied me and hung out backstage, and it ended up to be a really good time.

And, what, you ask, is "Voice Wars 2003"? Well, it was the event that I was mc-ing, along with my colleague, Chris Carmichael. Basically, it's a sort of Christian version of "American Idol." A talent contest, made up of solo vocalists. Some were quite good; others were...well... quite awful. Ten finalists were chosen, and a winner will be chosen later. The top winner gets a demo made at a recording studio.

One of the neatest things about any public appearance I make for the radio station is getting to meet really wonderful listeners. Truly, some of the nicest people in the world. Saturday night was no exception.

Sunday was busy, as always. Two services, punctuated by lunch and a nap on Sunday afternoon, and topped off with a visit to Culver's after church on Sunday night. I didn't order anything except a root beer. Culver's root beer is a treat...I can't resist it. And it was a nice way to end a VERY busy weekend.

Actually, that wasn't the very end of the weekend. When we got home, I soaked in the tub for a while, then crawled into my cozy bed. Doug and Elizabeth were singing in the living room while Elizabeth played the guitar. They were singing a Greater Vision song called "God Wants to Hear You Sing"...which was actually the duet Doug and I had sung in Beloit on Friday night. (The chorus sounds EXACTLY like Michael Card's "Love Crucified Arose," but that's neither here nor there.)

Anyway, the warmth that came over me as I listened to the voices of my husband and my daughter joined in sweet harmony...now, that was a lovely way to end the weekend.

Savana's jokes

My little friend Savana, age 7, is constantly asking me to tell her a joke. I've just about exhausted my supply (even though she frequently asks me to repeat the ones I've already told her); and I find myself feeling really bad that I don't have anything new to offer her.

Seven-year-olds don't ask for much in the way of jokes. They just have to be simple and understandable...nothing abstract, please. Irony and incongruity should not be present. Corniness is fine, and actually even valued. The cornier the better.

So I think I'm going to do a Google search for some jokes for kids. That way, the next time Savana asks, I will actually have something to give her.

So far, her favorites have been jokes my dad has favored for years. She even often asks me to repeat little things I remember my Dad saying or singing to us during my childhood.

For example, sometimes when he would wake us up he would sing:

"Get up, ye lazy saints of God,
Get up, ye lazy sinners
We need the sheets for table-cloths
It's almost time for dinner."

Savana really likes that one. :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails