Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Slugs, Bugs and Lullabies



While I was in Texas, I got to hear several songs off of Andrew Peterson's "Slugs, Bugs and Lullabies." I would sit on the back seat with 1-year-old Payton in his car seat, as he would vocalize along with the charming songs.

The CD has actually been out for quite some time, but this was the first chance I've had to really listen to some of the songs.

As one reviewer writes:

For those that are searching for music that can be enjoyed by parents and children alike, the search is over. Slugs, Bugs, and Lullabies is here to the delight of children and their parents everywhere. This is a collaborative effort between two very talented musicians, Andrew Peterson and Randall Goodgame.


I found this extensive review, by Gabrielle, from which I quote:

The album starts out very silly. They sing about postmen, tractors, bears, playing ball inside, and piggy toes. They sing about bizarre parenting tasks like burping and making a child eat beans. The songs are goofy and clever and very singable. Andrew and Randy are obviously having a good time together. Their fun spills out in their songs and is infectious.


She goes on to write about the lovely lullabies on the CD, including my favorite, "You Can Always Come Home to Me," which includes the lyrics:

I love you today and I love you tomorrow
I love you as deep as the sea
I love you in joy and I love you in sorrow
You can always come home to me


Gabrielle writes:

I think what is charming about this album is that it is explicitly Christian while still being silly. Too often Christians assume that the only reason for media is to instruct and so often you have music or books or movies that are doctrinally sound, but overly serious and boring. Andrew Peterson and Randall Goodgame made an album of songs that are enjoyable, are fun, but never escape being Christian. Because they set out to make, first and foremost, fun music when the songs do get profound I am more likely to sit up and take notice.


I just hope little ones get the humor in the lyrics of the impossible-to-get-out-of-your-head "Bears" *smile*:

Bears, bears, they got no cares
Bears don’t drink from a cup
Sharp teeth and claws and furry paws
To catch you and eat you up
No, grizzly bears don’t wear underwear
Socks, or jammies, or gloves
No baby bears, don’t wear diapers
No Pampers, no Huggies, no Luvs


You can hear "You Can Always Come Home to Me" on this video:

1 comment:

non compos mentis said...

thats really a sweet little kid.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails