|77-yearold body builder Ernestine Shepherd|
Instead, it's a culling together of things I've learned, women who ARE doing it right, and tips and knowledge that I'm at least trying to implement in my life, with varying degrees of success.
There's no doubt in my mind that proper eating and exercise is key to aging gracefully.
We may not all be able to aspire to the level of fitness exhibited by Ernestine Shepherd--pictured in the photo--but we can certainly be inspired.
Shepherd tells The Daily Mail that she gets up at 2.30am every day, prays, prepares her first meal of scrambled egg whites and a handful of walnuts, and then runs 10 miles before she has her second meal and hits the gym.
And I'm tired after a 45-minute bike ride! But you know what? It does definitely inspire me that someone old enough to be my mom has reached that level of fitness.
10 Natural Ways to Defy Your Age
Health and wellness coach Ellen Goldman has come up with 10 Natural Way to Defy Your Age. (I'm just going to hit the high points here, but feel free to read the entire article here.)
- Adjust Your Mindset: YOU Control How You Will Age
- Exercise: The Fountain of Youth (Cardio, Weight Training, and Lifestyle Activities)
- You are what you eat, so feed your face (focus on foods containing vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and polyphenols)
- Get Your Beauty Sleep (work on getting 7-8 hours a night)
- Calm the Years Away: Deep Breathing, Meditation and Yoga (prayer is a great option as well)
- Take Care of Your Smile (the health of your mouth can also affect the health of your body)
- Protect Your Skin (and Eyes) from the Sun
- Don't Neglect Your Ears (By all means, enjoy listening to music--but turn down the volume)
- Stop Smoking and Limit Alcohol
- Your Brain: Use It or Lose It ( Many habits, such as exercise and healthy eating, can keep our brain cells functioning well into our elderly years
I'm participating in "31 Days: A Writing Challenge," in which I 'll be blogging on the subject of Gracefully Aging every day during the month of October. Click the button below for more information and links to each post as they become available!