Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Melange: What's Going On in My Corner of the Blogosphere

Actress Lea Michelle at the Emmys

So, yeah, I'm bringing back (at least for today!) an old feature called Monday Melange, in which I give you some cool/interesting links to check out at your leisure.

--No, I didn't watch the Emmys last night, but I always like to check out the fashions the next day. Above, actress Lea Michelle, whose look I thought was really pretty. (Oh, and Christina Hendricks of "Mad Men"? We know you have cleavage. We get that. Dial it back a notch, please.)

Anyway, here's a link where you can browse all the looks, "best, worst and wackiest."

--Biggest Loser winner Olivia Ward is asking the question on her blog, "Is Big Really Sexy?" Prompting her question is the TLC show, "Big Sexy." Says Olivia:

"I have to admit, I watched all 3 episodes and I could not for the life of me figure out how I felt about them. My initial reaction was “You GO girls…flaunt those curves”….I was so moved by how brave these women are to really encourage people to be comfortable in their own skin...

Another part of this is how do I justify supporting people who want to continue to stay in an unhealthy state? It’s one thing to be overweight and working on it…it’s quite another to say that it is healthy to stay overweight and being proud of that."


--The Ink Slinger, my favorite brilliant teen-age blogger, has a list of Books Every Guy Should Read. (And this is just Part One.)

--As you know, I'm a big fan of YouTube beauty gurus, but I've noticed there are not many who represent women of "a certain age" (don't you love that French expression!). It seems most of the beauty gurus are very young.

However, Judy Chapman of Modern and Mature is not only my age, but she's gorgeous. She doesn't talk about make-up much--she leaves that to her daughters, make-up artist Samantha and Nicola of Pixiwoo. But she gives marvelous fashion advice, and she looks AMAZING. Always appropriate for her age, but fashionable and attractive.

With scarf-wearing weather on the way, check out her tutorial on many ways to tie scarves.

(Not the least of my favorite things about the Chapman ladies: their lovely British accents.)

2 comments:

Zoanna said...

I absolutely love the dress on Lea Michelle...stunning color and modest. I love the beading and cap sleeves that are so popular this year. Not a fan of the plunging neckline. I'm with you -- "dial it back a notch." Julia Bowen's to the navel . Hated Gweneth's number--reminded me of something Cher would've sported.

Corey P. said...

Thanks for linking to my post, Mrs. Swanson. I appreciate it. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails