Thursday, July 14, 2005

News of a new "Pride and Prejudice" movie...

...and I do the Jane Austen meme

Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy in A&E's "Pride and Prejudice"

From Blest with Sons, news of an upcoming movie based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. But Blest has seen the trailer (I haven't), and she's disappointed already: "I am dismayed, disenchanted, and disappointed. Changes. Changes. Changes. Hardly a scrap of Austen’s subtle dialogue is visible… Just the blunt gaucherie of standard Hollywood. They’ve even added stupid jokes like Mr Collins accidentally saying 'intercourse' from the pulpit and getting flustered. And Keira Knightley’s Elizabeth is much too…coquettish. Sigh."

Blest calls the A & E version "my favorite movie ever and in my opinion the best adaptation of a book ever." You know, I've never seen it in its entirety. I should rent it sometime for Liz and me.

In the meantime, even though it's been a while since I read a Jane Austen book (although I've read P & P many times), I will do Blest with Sons' Jane Austen meme:


The Jane Austen Meme



Jane Austen

Which of Jane Austen’s novels have you read?--Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park and Emma

What is your favorite?--Pride and Prejudice

What is your favorite Jane Austen movie?--
A tie between Emma and Sense & Sensibility. (As I said, I haven't seen A&E's Pride and Prejudice in its entirety.)

Which novel would you most like to see redone as a movie? Any casting suggestions?--Sadly, I can't remember the other books well enough to recommend casting!

Which Austen character do you most resemble?--
Except for the fact that she's supposed to be beautiful, I may resemble Jane Bennet a little. In that I'm underconfident, somewhat tentative and a little ditzy at times.

If you could be transported into one of the books, which character would you want to be?--Elizabeth Bennet, without a doubt. She's one of the coolest, smartest, spunkiest heroines in all of literature!

Which character does your spouse most resemble?--
Hmm. He has a few Mr. Darcy traits, but more of Charles Bingley--fun-loving, jovial and a people-person.

If you could change anything in any Austen book, what would it be?--
Can't think of a thing!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails