Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Devoured two books over the Mother's Day weekend...



One of the perks of my radio job is getting free books...but often, a publisher will send me a book that's midstream in a series. For example, on Friday, Bethany House publishers sent me Book 3 in a series by Beverly Lewis called "Abram's Daughters."

I wasn't deterred by the fact that I had missed out on the first two books...I hopped in midstream and had no difficulty catching up on the story so far. As always with Beverly Lewis books, I was immediately captivated. Lewis' tales of Amish life are immensely readable and engrossing.

It was only while reading one of her earlier series that I learned that the Amish do not believe in salvation by grace through faith, and that individual study of the Bible is discouraged. The "Ordnung"...the oppressive list of rules and regulations by which the Amish are bound...reminds me all too much of the yoke of legalism that some Christians still wish to enforce today.

"The Sacrifice" reminded me of what a good author Beverly Lewis is, and I now look forward to the fourth book in this series.

I also finished the Davis Bunn book, "The Elixir." Terrific book. All while enjoying a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!

1 comment:

Cindy Swanson said...

Joy, I was using "Haloscan" before, and it appears to be gone now...I don't know if I can get it back. Also, all my sidebar info is showing up waaaay down the page, at least on my screen. I want it parallel with the current posts. If anyone knows how to ensure that will happen, let me know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails