Thursday, February 09, 2012

In Praise of the Umbrella




Friday, February 10, according to The Ultimate Holiday Site, is National Umbrella Day:

Brolly, gamp, parasol, bumbershoot - whatever you call it, umbrellas are made for one thing - protecting you from the elements. As you go out into the world today, don't forget your brolly! It might just save your hair.



So, who invented the umbrella? Who can we thank for not having to run out in the rain with a plastic garbage bag over our heads (don't laugh--been there, done that)?

Here's some brolly history from Inventors.about.com:


 The basic umbrella was invented over four thousand years ago. We have seen evidence of umbrellas in the ancient art and artifacts of Egypt, Assyria, Greece, and China. These ancient umbrellas or parasols, were first designed to provide shade from the sun. The Chinese were the first to waterproof their umbrellas for use as rain protection. They waxed and lacquered their paper parasols in order to use them for rain.



More from Inventors.about.com:

The first all umbrella shop was called "James Smith and Sons". The shop opened in 1830, and is still located at 53 New Oxford Street in London, England.




I don't know if Audrey Hepburn always golfed with an umbrella over her shoulder, but probably only she could make it look cute!


Living in England as she does, Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge, is often photographed with an umbrella.  She's practically made it a fashion accessory.


Source: google.com via Cindy on Pinterest


Oh, and I can't leave you without the obligatory couple-kissing-under-the-umbrella shot, can I? :)


3 comments:

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Well, how interesting! I always have an umbrella or two in my vehicle. And, they are always the auto up and down and golf size. In fact, it rained here today and I used one. Think the rain is bringing in some cold, cold temps for the weekend.

Blessings my friend!

MrsAmberApple said...

I had no idea there was such a history! I think umbrellas are rather magical :) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Most of my favorite pieces of art feature umbrellas and I keep several in my car. They are so cute and I love the rain.

Related Posts with Thumbnails