It was a frigid morning here in Northern Illinois, and as I was imparting the chilly details to 101QFL listeners, I got a sudden flashback: myself, as a child, eating oatmeal, Malt-o-Meal or Cream of Wheat prepared by my mom before braving the long, cold walk to school.
That prompted a discussion about hot cereal, with listeners calling in to reminisce about their own childhood fondness--or lack thereof--for the likes of Malt-o-Meal.
It being Thursday Thirteen day, I decided to take a trip down memory lane and look at 13 memories from my childhood. Not saying all of these are "favorite" memories...but memories nonetheless...from someone whose childhood spanned the late 50's to the early 70s:
1) Having hot cereal for breakfast before braving the aforesaid chilly walk to school while we were living in Springfield, Missouri
2) Playing outside! We actually did that for hours at a time in those days
3) Eating chicken pot pie--the first bite burned the tongue, but the rest...mmmmm
4) Enjoying flannelgraph lessons in Sunday School
5) Watching re-runs of "The Three Stooges"
6) Watching corny, innocent shows like "Petticoat Junction" and "Green Acres"
7) Wishing I had special powers like Jeannie and Samantha, so I could clean my room up or do the dishes with a crinkle of the nose
8) Laying on the floor and listening, enraptured, to my parents' albums of "Swan Lake" and "Rhapsody in Blue"
9) Playing "Kay and Donna" with my sister Lisa. We would pretend to be these teen-aged girls named Kay and Donna, and had made up elaborate backstories to go with it
10) My dad ad libbing funny songs with our names in them
11) Being proud of my dad when he would sing a solo in church
12) My mom--just always being there and being wonderful
13) Spending 2 and a half years in Beirut, Lebanon. As I've said before, it shaped my life in far-reaching ways
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants