Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Tuesdays with Mr. Moseley

Photo by James L. Standfield via


Are there any teachers in your past that made an enormous, lasting impression on your life? 

Jerry B. Moseley was my history and social studies teacher in sixth and seventh grade in Vidor, Texas in the late sixties.

Through the years, I've often remembered Mr. Moseley as one of my favorite teachers ever...the kind of teacher whose influence remains with a student for the rest of one's life.  He recognized and encouraged my talents and abilities...a wonderful gift from a teacher to a student.

Some time ago, I re-connected with Mr. Moseley. I did a Google search for him, and found a post on a site for victims of Hurricane Rita. 

He was living in a nursing home when the hurricane struck. The staff fled the facility, and while he was shuffled from place to place, looters took all his possessions, including his computer. 

An old Navy friend set him up with a place to live in New York State. However, Mr. Moseley's greatest wish was to spend his last years with his stepdaughter (who he considers his daughter) and her family in Albuquerque, NM. 

That prayer was answered, and he was able to re-locate to Albuquerque.  He is now in worse health, suffering from kidney cancer.

For some time, Mr. Moseley sent out daily e-mails of his writings to friends and relatives.  I believe they are remarkable, not only  in their storytelling ability but in their wit and spirit.  

I decided to start posting these stories on a blog every Tuesday.  Mr. Moseley is now sending me more stories, so I should have a plentiful supply!

The blog is called Turquoise Sky: The Writigs of Jerry B. Moseley.  

I've been struggling to get readership for this blog, as I think these writings deserve as wide an audience as possible.  I provide links on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.  If anyone has any ideas on ways to promote it, can you let me know?

For example, I was wondering if there are blog circles or bloglists that specialize in this kind of blog.

In the meantime, i do hope you'll check it out!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails