Monday, January 04, 2010

And so 2010 begins...


One of my New Year's resolutions is NOT to neglect my blog as much as I have in the past few months!



No doubt about it, Facebook is the culprit. Since I've gotten more into the habit of reading and posting there, Notes in the Key of Life has gone by the wayside.



But, I don't want to give up my blog. It has always been a great outlet for me, and I hereby determine to keep it alive in 2010.



A look back at 2009...


Reflecting on the events in my life during the past year, a few things stand out.
First of all, the day after Mother's Day, I found out that my work situation would never be the same.
At a staff meeting that day, I found out that the radio station(s) (101QFL and Radio 91) where I have worked since 1981 had been sold.

The news wasn't potentially all bad: although the new owners typically get rid of current employees and switch stations to national syndication, they were willing to give at least one of the stations the chance to stay local.


What followed was a few months in limbo. All I knew was that things were going to change. Would I be part of whatever was left of one of the stations? For what seemed like an eternity, none of us really knew what was going to happen.


The upshot was that one of the stations is history, but I was blessed to be able to keep my job, albeit in a different form.

Saying goodbye to people I've worked with for most of my adult life was VERY hard. And even now, I have no guarantees about my future here. But I'm convinced everything comes into the life of a Christian for a reason, and I'm learning to give my future to God. He alone knows what the future holds, and He has a plan for my life.

I do know this: the whole situation has caused me to grow in ways I never imagined, both spiritually and practically. The rest of my story is yet unwritten, but I'm good friends with the Author.

Fun stuff happened too...

In late May, we went to the wedding of a nephew in Iowa, then several of my husband's family members came back to Rockford for a visit. It was a very pleasant time.
In late June, I got to spend some time in Port Aransas, Texas, with all my children, including my lovely daughter-in-law, my grandson, my mom, my sister and her family. That was definitely one of the highlights of my year. Relaxing on the beach with the people I love the most was WONDERFUL. I want to go back!

In October, my husband's two sisters came from California for a visit. We had so much fun, and it was great getting to know my husband's older sister a little better...I've never lived around her. Awesome ladies!


In November, my precious little Grandson Number Two was born. Little Josiah Daniel Swanson was born on November 9th. I got to meet him in person on Thanksgiving Day...and let me tell you, any question about whether you can love a second granchild as much as the first flew out the window. Josiah is the most precious little bundle. I adore him just as I do my first grandson, Payton, who will be 3 at the end of this month.

The picture you see here is of Josiah and Payton, the two loves of my life. I hate that they live so far away, but I cherish every single moment I get to spend with them.

In December, my husband, my daughter and I headed down to Texas for the holidays. It was an incredible time!


And so begins a new year....
That brings us to today. My church's mission statement for 2010 is "Making a Difference: Moved by Compassion."

I'm claiming it as my mission statement for the year. With the world in increasing darkness, we who call ourselves Christians MUST make a difference. I'm asking God to show me the ways that I can most effectively do just that.


To those of you who read my blog, my sincere thanks to you for sticking with me through sporadic posting. I pray God's blessings on you throughout the New Year!

1 comment:

Juliet said...

Those are two handsome men! It's hard to believe that Payton will be three!

I do like facebook, but I want to keep my blog sorta like a diary that I can look back on. That would be too hard to with with facebook.

May we all have more compassion in the year 2010!

Related Posts with Thumbnails