Friday, June 15, 2007

Ruth Bell Graham passes away















"We've rekindled the romance of our youth, and my love for her continued to grow deeper every day. I will miss her terribly, and look forward even more to the day I can join her in Heaven."--Billy Graham

Comments are resonating throughout the Christian blogosphere today about the passing of Ruth Bell Graham, wife of world-renowned evangelist Billy Graham. She died Thursday (June 14, 2007) at the age of 87.

A rekindled romance

I love Billy Graham's comment about "rekindling the romance" of their youth. How incredibly sweet...and how wonderful to know that true love can last far beyond the beauty and vigor of youth--or as Shakespeare put it, "Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks within his bending sickle's compass come..."

A remarkable woman


By all accounts, Mrs. Graham was a remarkable woman. Her children are reflections of her lifelong devotion to the Lord:

"Between 1945 and 1958, Mrs. Graham gave birth to five children, whom she raised – sometimes single-handedly – while her husband was away on extended national and international evangelistic crusades. The three daughters and two sons who survive her are all actively involved in ministry, including eldest son Franklin, who heads the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (BGEA) founded by his father."--from a news release


From President Bush:

"Laura and I are deeply saddened by the death of Ruth Bell Graham, a remarkable woman of faith whose life was defined by her belief in a personal, loving, and gracious God. She was an encouraging friend, accomplished poet, and devoted mother of five and grandmother of 19.

"Ruth's marriage to her husband Billy was a true and loving partnership. As the wife of the world's most beloved evangelist, she inspired people around the world with her humor, intelligence, elegance, and kindness. Laura and I offer our prayers and condolences to Billy and the Graham family. --President Bush


Share your thoughts

From her online memorial, this loving comment:

“I cannot fathom a world in which she is not present. I have been comforted, inspired, and helped over the years by her passion for the lost (around the world, and especially for China); her dignity and grace as a wife and mother in the spotlight; and her ongoing legacy of books and poetry. One Wintry Night remains a treasured volume in our home. Sitting by my Laughing Fire and Legacy of a Pack Rat have moved me, challenged me, and brought me laughter and tears. I feel as though I’ve lost a friend. I am praying for Billy and the entire family. Even so, come quickly, Lord Jesus.”--Donna-Jean


Note: I am pretty sure that is my friend and fellow-blogger Donna-Jean of Liberty and Lily.
Look at the lovely memorial page here, and add comments if you wish to.

I'm sad to say I've never read anything by Ruth Bell Graham. Please recommend your favorites to me in my comments section. And go out and have a blessed weekend!
Related Tags:

(Hat tip to Karla of Looking towards Heaven for the lovely photo of Billy and Ruth Graham.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails