Friday, December 02, 2005

My favorite Christmas music...

OK, I have to say, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Christmas music! There are certain Christmas albums that are staples for me during this season. More on some of those in a moment...but first, to tell you about a few newer ones that I'm now enjoying.

My Radio 91 co-worker, Charmel, was kind enough to give me a copy of Point of Grace's new CD, Winter Wonderland. Now, as you'll read in a moment, the first POG Christmas CD is one of my all-time favorites, but after just a few listens to this new one, I can tell it's going to take its place among my favorites as well.



Another one I'm enjoying for the second year is the soundtrack to the movie "Elf." It includes a lot of happy, lighthearted classics sung by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Lena Horne, Jim Reeves and Eddy Arnold--including a song my son Jonathan absolutely detests: "Santa Baby," sung by Eartha Kitt.

For a more contemplative and worshipful mood...My husband surprised me the other day with Handel's Messiah, performed by the London Philharmonic and boxed with a lovely Thomas Kinkade print. I've never had a really good recording of Messiah, which I've always loved (and recently blogged about), so I was thrilled.

James Taylor has always been one of my favorite singers, so I'm really enjoying his Christmas CD...several favorites sung in his inimitable laid-back, folksy style. His version of "Go Tell it on the Mountain" is vintage James. I love it.

Another of my favorites this year can't be bought in stores. My son Justin compiled a CD that he calls "Soulful Christmas." It includes Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas," a few from Kirk Franklin and the Family, Stevie Wonder, Take 6 and others. I'm loving it!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's something I wrote a few years ago about Christmas music, lifted from my website:

The Soundtrack of Christmas


Christmas music I love...

There are certain musical sounds that have formed the backdrop of Christmas for me...some in years past,and some in more recent years. I can remember growing up to the lilting sounds of Brenda Lee's "Jingle Bell Rock" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"! In junior high,I was introduced by an incredible music teacher to the majesty and wonder of Handel's "Messiah." The strains of "For Unto Us a Son is Born" never fail to stir me, and I could make a good case for "The Hallelujah Chorus" being sung in Heaven!

When I was in Bible college, Evie Tornquist was all the rage. I still enjoy Evie's "Come On,Ring those Bells"!

Years ago,my sister gave me a Christmas tape of the Oak Ridge Boys. I've since lost it, and would love to have the CD. I can remember playing it for my little sons at night while they went to sleep during the Christmas season.

Some of my favorite Christmas music is more contemporary, but several have quickly become standards in our home. Here are a few:



For the fourth year I'm thoroughly enjoying Michael W. Smith's "Christmastime." I heartily recommend it.

No one is going to pretend Smitty is an awesome vocalist, but he is, in my opinion,a musical genius, and there is something endearing about his voice, too. The arrangements and orchestration are absolutely gorgeous as well. This is one of my very favorite Christmas albums. It is the perfect, joyous blend of the lighthearted and the reverent. Now I can't imagine the Christmas season without it.

His first Christmas album (I believe it was just titled "Christmas"), also remains a Christmas season staple for me, but it has a much different tone. The first album is more quiet and worshipful overall.

All of Amy Grant's Christmas albums are great,but my personal favorite is "Home for Christmas." It has become a seasonal classic in our home.


Also once again enjoying Point of Grace's Christmas C-D...I believe it's called "A Christmas Story." Lush, shimmery, angelic female four-part harmony, with a nice balance of the sacred and the secular.

And one of the best Christmas albums EVER...4Him's "Season of Love". I can't come up with enough superlatives for this one. . 4Him's version of "Little Drummer Boy" is one of my favorites...and "Strange Way to Save the World" is beautiful and poignant. A must-have!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, time to share. What are YOUR favorites/recommendations?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hiya ##NAME##, just thought I'd say great post titled ##TITLE##. I'm looking for ##LINK## and I ended up here accidentally but I will make sure I return soon. Looking for in addition will keep me busy for a few hours.

Related Posts with Thumbnails