Wednesday, October 15, 2003

Disappointment...

...the one thing that die-hard Cubs fans can count on, next to death and taxes?

No, I'm not going to discuss the game. I'm sure all the pundits and whatever is the baseball equivalent of Monday-morning quarterbacks have done that, ad infinitum, already. Including people who know a whole lot more about baseball than I do. :) I did watch the entire game, and experienced the emotions ranging from pleasurable enjoyment and anticipation, to stunned surprise, to total deflation. Isn't it amazing how a game can do that to you?

As I was watching the game...snuggled on the sofa next to my hubby...the thought did briefly cross my mind: "Should Christians even let themselves care so much about something that is so fleeting, so temporal, so ultimately worthless in the grand scheme of things?"

Well, naturally, we shouldn't care inordinately about it. But I truly believe it's OK, even necessary and healthy, to have diversions in this life. The priority we place on those diversions, and the nature of those diversions...those are the things to be cautious about.

So, if the Cubs lose tonight...which I really, really hope they don't...it will be OK. Even for my die-hard Cubs fan husband (not just Johnny-come-lately Cubs fan me. Life will go on; the things that really matter will still matter...

But shoot; it WILL be disappointing!

40 Days of Purpose...a few days late???

I have, sitting very near this computer, a hardbound copy of Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life. No, it's not my personal copy. There is a yellow post-it note stuck to it that reads: "Cindy, If you were unable to pick up a book...feel free to borrow mine any time. See ya...Greg."

Since today is Day 3 of the 40 Days of Purpose, I have some catch-up reading to do. Fortunately, I'm a very fast reader.


MC Cindy ?


This coming week...actually starting with Friday...is going to be an incredibly busy week for me. I have outside, public-speaking-type obligations just about every day. Two of those obligations actually involve being an MC.

I have MC'd things before, although not often. In one event, I will actually have a co-MC. In other event, I will also be singing.

I'm a little nervous, but also excited. Whatever happens...if I fall on my face, or do OK...I will probably write about it here. (Did you doubt it? :))



Funny Quotes from the Sports World

These, courtesy of Dr. Bob Griffin's "Grif.net":

~Shaquille O'Neal on whether he had visited the Parthenon during his visit to Greece: "I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."

~"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann 1996

~Frank Layden, Utah Jazz president, on a former player: "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, Coach, I don't know and I don't care.'"






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails